Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Grizzly details

We will pray tonight for President Obama, for our legislative and judicial leaders and for our military. We will, if not careful, complain about how terrible conditions are in our country and how the administration is making rookie mistakes in the World Series of economic competition. Some will admit to fear about the future.

One of my favorite writers over the years is Frederick Forsyth. Two of his books that you may have heard of are “The Day of the Jackal” and “the Odessa file”. Forsyth is stuck in the African nation of Guinea-Bissau right now due to the events of this weekend where the president of the country was killed by the military. Here’s how he describes what happened: "They went to his villa, threw a bomb through the window which hurt him, but didn't kill him," Forsyth told the BBC late Tuesday. "The roof came down, that hurt him but didn't kill him either.”
"He struggled out of the rubble and was promptly shot. This, however, still didn't kill him. They then took him to his mother-in-law's house and chopped him to bits with machetes," he added.*

I’ve been in the middle of an African battle. I’ve seen the terror in African eyes at the uncertainty of life and the fear of what is happening. I feel what the people of Guinea-Bissau are feeling.

So here’s what I want to say to you: Did you know that we live in the greatest country in the world, despite the problems that we face? I did not vote for our president; I disagree with much of his social agenda. Yet I will not only pray for our president, I will also render to him the respect he deserves. I will go to bed tonight and pray that the Lord will guide our government and help to have wisdom about what is right and the courage to do it. One thing I won’t fear is that the military leadership of our country will invade the White House and kill the president.

*(Copyright © 2009 AFP)

No comments:

My prayer for 2024

  The study of God, theology, is multi-faceted with tributaries of importance that stream from the central concentration on God Himself.  Th...