Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Change in America

Lately I’ve been waking up early…and it was no different this morning. The thought went through my mind, “I think I’m going to go back to sleep. I really don’t want to get up to find out that our country has changed.” (I didn’t wait for the call last night, but the numbers were inevitable.) Then I remembered: I don’t trust in the President of the United States. I’ve committed my life to the One who neither slumbers nor sleeps (Ps. 121:4)

Believers in Jesus Christ never need to hide our heads under the covers -- because we live under the protection of the Lord who sees the end from the beginning and is never taken by surprise. Neither should believers in Jesus Christ bury our heads in the proverbial sand. In an environment of change like we are now experiencing, we must be ready with the good news. Hear me clearly on this: good news does not come across as good news from glum, unenthusiastic lips. If we adopt a “woe is me” attitude and allow it to reflect in our mood or show in our face, we cannot truly proclaim the news of hope. Essentially, nothing has changed. The King of kings is still on His throne. And He invites us into the process. More than at any time in recent memory, we need to involve ourselves with His invitation in 1 Timothy 2:1-2: First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.

My prayer this morning? Lord, bless our new President. Bless Him with wisdom, build in him conviction of truth and give him the courage to turn from that which is wrong and to do that which is right. When he reaches his hand to do things against you, prevent it. When he tries to make decisions that are opposed to you, throw him into confusion. Lord, give us grace; grant us truth…so we can live in godliness and dignity.

No comments:

My prayer for 2024

  The study of God, theology, is multi-faceted with tributaries of importance that stream from the central concentration on God Himself.  Th...