Thursday, June 10, 2021

Capitol

The year is 1969 or 1970. That's so long ago, I've forgotten which. I am part of Boy Scout Troop 97 in Memphis, Tennessee — "Ole 97". After months of fundraising activity, our troop took off in the old bus (Swamp Fox) on a historical tour culminating in Washington, DC.

All kinds of interesting adventures transpired. Some planned. Others, like the days we spend at A.P. Hill army garrison while the bus was repaired, were not. For a 13 or 14-year-old, it was significant foundational memory.

One day stands out from all the rest for me. We were touring; hiking our way to and through the major sights of the city. We were paired up in a buddy system. I don't remember who my buddy was. I do know that we became separated in the Rotunda of the Capitol. I was wowed. I went from painting to painting; from statue to statue blown away, not only by the art but also by the setting. Suddenly, I realized that all the other scouts were gone. I looked for them. Really, I did. I finally concluded that I would need to go this alone. I knew the basic route we were following and I knew where we were staying so... Adventure time.

There was no doubt I was a Boy Scout: Scout khaki pants, some weird knee socks we used to wear, and a tee-shirt that said "Old 97" made it obvious. It was different back in the day. I started talking to people. Guards. Other people on tour. I dropped into offices and spoke with congressional aides. I toured around everywhere in the building. No one ever questioned my presence. I treated the adventure in that building with reverence.

Now, the point of this memory. I do not question your political leaning. If, however, you do not abhor the conduct of the idiots who invaded the primary symbol of our democracy, I have to wonder if you understand the nature of the government that we have been handed. We were born in rebellion. What was created, however, was a system of political interaction with one another where our dialogue would not be made by way of guns and rebellion, but by means of elections, and representatives, and laws. The Capitol is the place where those representatives meet. It is the greatest of our symbols. Not the White House, where the administrative head lives. Not the Supreme Court, where the Constitution is protected and laws tested to ensure that they conform to it. No, it is the Capitol that is the symbol.

I understand the deficiencies of our system. Those deficiencies are nothing new. Mark Twain once said, "Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Will Rogers said, "Democrats take the whole thing as a joke. Republicans take it serious but run it like a joke." And, there is that old take: what's the opposite of progress? Yes: Con-gress. That said, this country inspires great dedication and has the nobility of millions who have paid the ultimate price for us to have the privilege of working this inadequate system.

I end like this: I don't really care whether Donald Trump provoked this by his comments or not! Part of being American is the freedom to speak provocatively! My problem is the reaction. It dishonored the country that I love; it invaded a place that should only be treated with reverence by those of us who love her. Those who did it, deserve not only punishment but to be shamed because what they did was shameful.


No comments:

My prayer for 2024

  The study of God, theology, is multi-faceted with tributaries of importance that stream from the central concentration on God Himself.  Th...