Wednesday, October 24, 2012

On the Calvinism debate

The first time I encountered the “Doctrines of grace” produced one of the greatest crises of faith that I have experienced in my life.  I was auditing a course at a Bible college while attending university.  My crisis was, perhaps, augmented by the fact that I was facing the concepts of Hegel in literature.  I emerged from the crisis stronger in my faith; I did not emerge as a Calvinist.  Later on, I had the privilege of studying “The Life and Ministry of John Calvin” under one of the leading lights of Calvinistic advance during this generation: Tom Nettles.  The Lord allowed me to pair this encounter with a course called “The Calvinist-Arminian Controversy” under Dr. Reginald Barnard.  Dr. Barnard had been the Prizeman in Theology in his class at Spurgeon’s College and had gone on to pastor in London for 25 years before coming to the States and taking his doctorate.  His European perspective on the subject is something I have valued as I have continued my personal struggle through these difficult concepts. For almost 15 years, I worked my way through various African countries as a missionary. At every stop, I found myself in the training of pastors and leaders. These experiences have also contributed to the understanding that I have about the debate.

I have come to the place where I do not allow the theological position of a brother to determine how I relate to him.  My standard is to discover if grace is operational in a person’s life, in that they have become what I label “a great lover of Christ”.  Tom Nettles was an inspiration.  He came through the door of class with a song on his lips and joy in his heart; joy that was produced by his love for Jesus Christ and Him alone.  It was not his Calvinism that made him a “great lover of Christ”.  It was the living Lord, working in and through Him.  No less was this true of Dr. Barnard.  The quiet European demeanor could not hide an affectuous joie de vivre that came from his love of the Lord.  I walked by the side of wonderful African pastors; men whose educational level did not give them great entrance into the Word of God, but whose commitment to Christ was unequivocal and whose desire to learn was undeniable.  They were “great lovers of Christ” though they will never enter into the debate that seems so important to many in our Convention today. 

So, I’m going to refuse to participate in debate.  I will happily discuss my understanding of the Scripture and the great themes of theology with those whose love for Jesus is palpable.  I will avoid those who are contentious and pray that they will discover the admonition to “love the brotherhood” (1 Pt. 2:17).  The issue is far larger than the Southern Baptist Convention.  It is the very warp and woof (as Schaeffer used to say) of the outworking of the Christian faith. 

No comments:

My prayer for 2024

  The study of God, theology, is multi-faceted with tributaries of importance that stream from the central concentration on God Himself.  Th...