Wednesday, May 17, 2006

They're coming.....

I’m trying hard to keep my ear for Portuguese. My thought is that if I can keep remembering how it sounds and what they are saying, I should be able to speak it – if I ever have that necessity. Yesterday, I watched the afternoon news from Portugal over the Internet. One of the lead stories points out how different cultures can be: it seems sardine fishermen are extremely upset over the quotas and prices that have been set for their trade!

Sardines are important to the Portuguese. We’re not talking about the little sardines in a can. The Portuguese love the larger sardines. Fresh ones. Grilled. I’ll never forget the first time I smelled those fish over the fire – they smell almost like a tire burning. Not one that I enjoyed and not one that would entice me to try them, but the Portuguese have a national obsession over anything that comes out of the ocean and sardines are a favorite.

Can you imagine CNN, Fox or a leading network news show leading off with how sardine fishermen are upset? Only if it were the slowest news day in history!

Countries are different; cultures are different; and, what is important to people is different. Yet, despite all the differences there is one fundamental need: to know Christ and the power of His resurrection.

Different kinds of people are headed our way. They will come from all over the United States and will retire here in our part of north Florida. They will come with all sorts of different accents, attitudes and obsessions. Despite this, they will have the one fundament need: to know Christ and the power of His resurrection. The question is: will Wellborn be faithful to share the message that has changed our lives?

No comments:

My prayer for 2024

  The study of God, theology, is multi-faceted with tributaries of importance that stream from the central concentration on God Himself.  Th...